Friday, May 15, 2009

guide lines for sighted people how to interact with a blind person

Friday, May 15, 2009 |



Interacting With A Blind Person
When I meet a person who is blind I will...

I will remember that my attitude toward blindness is vitally important
for establishing healthy relationships.

I will use the words, "look," "see," "blind," etc. Avoidance of these
words will only make a blind person self-conscious.

I will identify myself when meeting a blind person so that I do not
give her the insecurity of wondering who I am.

I will look directly at her when speaking.

I will tell a blind person who else might be within speaking range,
and I will announce when I'm leaving the presence of a blind person so
she will not be embarrassed by speaking to no one.

I will offer a blind person my elbow for assistance in walking,
staying about one step ahead so he can anticipate my movements.

I will open a door and the blind person I'm guiding will hold it open
as we pass through.

I will caution a blind person about obstacles in his path, ascending
or descending stairs and curbs.

I will offer assistance to a blind person in crossing streets even
though she may have a cane or GUIDE dog.

I will place the hand of a blind person on a door handle or the back
or arm of a chair for his orientation.

I will allow a blind person the dignity of speaking for herself and
discourage other people from talking through me, unless the blind
person has a severe hearing loss.

I will keep a blind person informed and aware of present circumstances.

I will assist a blind person at the dining table. A clock face
description of the location of food on a plate is often appreciated.

I will allow a blind person the courtesy of handling cash. A blind
person can tell the difference in coins by touch, and identify paper
money by various methods of folding.

Written and Compiled by Carol M. McCarl



Related Posts



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Statistik

Perhatian kepada pengunjung blog Suara Oku..

Blog ini adalah bertujuan untuk memberi informasi terkini dan memperjuangkan nasib Orang Kelainan Upaya(OKU) di Malaysia.

Justeru itu pihak blog memohon jasa baik pengunjung untuk menyumbang sebarang informasi berkenaan kempen,artikel dan apa sahaja yang melibatkan OKU.
Pihak blog juga ingin mengajak rakan-rakan di luar yang berminat untuk menulis mengenai OKU untuk menyertai kami terutamanya daripada golongan OKU sendiri.
Pihak blog juga amat menghargai sekiranya rakan-rakan membuat pautan blog ini di blog anda.

Sebarang pertanyaan dan cadangan silalah email pada :
suaraoku@gmail.com.
-Terima Kasih-

"Bukan Wang Yang Ku Pinta, Cuma Secebis Perhatian "

OKU'S Supporter Blogger

OKU'S Supporter Blogger

Pandangan Anda


ShoutMix chat widget

Followers

 
Copyright © Suara OKU | Powered by Blogger | Template by Blog Go Blog